Employer PAYE duties

ConcernedTaxGuy says:
16 June 2015 at 17:24

What is the standings/defences one can use in an event that he/she does not receive his or her PAYE certificate from a former employer?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
17 June 2015 at 8:52

This is a difficult situation, as the Income Tax Act describes that it is the employer%u2019s responsibility to withhold the correct amount of PAYE from remuneration. And if they did withhold PAYE, they should supply you with a certificate as proof. Perhaps verify from your payslips that the PAYE was withheld and with that demand a certificate. Even if you are a former employee, your employer withheld the PAYE and paid it over to Inland Revenue, so a certificate is the proof that taxes were withheld on the salary earned. Further action may be taken with Inland Revenue, to approach them and ask for assistance in this regard.

Get Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.