If I stay in a house,with no rental contract/payment, can I deduct municipal and maintenance costs?

Emce says:
30 June 2015 at 9:39

I am currently staying in my parents' house, and I am paying for rates & taxes, water and electricity as well as repairs. We have no rental contract/agreement of any kind. My parents have moved to the farm and we are using their house. Can I indicate these running costs?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
30 June 2015 at 9:45

No - these are classified as personal expenses, so it can't be claimed, except ifthe house is leased to a third party, but then the rental income needs to be declared as well.

Get Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.