Blog Q&A Calculators Students Logbook Contact

Offset of tax losses if CC has different trades/operation

Posted 9 January 2016 under Tax Q&A
Georg says:
5 January 2016 at 16:39

I have CC in which three different "trades" are recorded. The CC documents are in line with this nature of business. The trade are consulting services, investment properties, and a farming operation. Although they all have a different nature I record them altogether in my CC. I know there is a suspect trade section to ring fence losses for natural persons. The section however is not applicable to CCs. My question is if the farming trade in my CC makes losses, can I offset them against the profits of the other two trades or is there a similar section on CCs that prohibits this?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
9 January 2016 at 16:30

Ring-fencing is only applicable to individuals, so yes the farming losses can be offset in the CC.

Get Inland Revenue Tax Deadlines in your Inbox

We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.

Let TaxTim
help you
submit your
Tax returns!

TaxTim will help you:
  • Do Your Tax Return Easily
  • Avoid penalties
  • Save money
Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Get started