Tax return as a South African that worked in Namibia during 2014 for 11 months

Louis says:
2 June 2016 at 9:07

I worked in Windhoek, Namibia for the year of 2014. I started on the 14th January and left the country on the 28th November 2014. I have never done a tax return during my stay there. How can I go about doing my tax from South Africa now?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
2 June 2016 at 9:24

Are you registered for tax in Namibia - because if you are not - you first need to register for tax in Namibia, i.e. obtain a tax number and thereafter you can complete a tax return for the said period.

If you will not return to Namibia and work here again, then you will need to deregister for Namibian tax after your return submission.

Hope this helps.

Louis says:
2 June 2016 at 11:29

Yes I am registered and have a tax number.
The company I worked for registered me in 18/07/2014.
Please advise me how I can proceed with filing my tax and what I will need? I presume a PAYE 5 for 2013/2014 and then 2014/2015?
Are there any penalties attached to late filing?

TaxTim TaxTim says:
2 June 2016 at 17:56

Yes you will need your PAYE 5 certificates for the respective years. Then you can use TaxTim to complete your tax returns. Then you will need to submit hard copy tax returns to Inland Revenue, but it is advisable that you ask someone in Namibia to submit ot for you, as electronic submissions are not allowed. Also a stamped as proof of submission should be obtained.
Good luck

Get Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.