Earn under R350,000? Click here to see why you still need to file to get your Tax Refund.
Want to maximise this year's tax refund?

TaxTim will help you fill in your tax return step-by-step.
Be done with tax in 20 minutes or less!

Try TaxTim now
Try Tim now

What is included in the erection cost of a building?

Posted 11 May 2016 under Tax Q&A
AK says:
11 May 2016 at 14:53

Out of a tax point of view, what is the definition / what is included in "erection cost" of a building and does the accounting standard regarding borrowing cost also apply?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
11 May 2016 at 15:19

The Income Tax Act does not define a building or erection costs, but reliance is made on the Oxford definition. The Oxford dictionary defines a building as "a structure such as a house... that has a roof and walls". Therefore where a structure with walls and a roof has been erected, it is generally accepted that a building allowance may be claimed on the construction costs incurred.
Elements like improvements, fixture and fittings, extensions, restorations are grey areas and professional advise should be obtained. Fees associated with construction like architectural fees and engineers are normally of a capital nature and even if treated differently for accounting purposes, Inland Revenue may disallow claims on these type of fees.

Get Inland Revenue Tax Dates and Deadlines in your Inbox

We'll tell you when tax season is open and when it closes. Nothing more.

Let TaxTim
help you
submit your
Tax returns!

TaxTim will help you:
  • Do Your Tax Return Easily
  • Avoid penalties
  • Save money
Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Get started