Latest Posts in TaxTim's Blog

Bi-weekly tax series: What can I deduct for tax purposes in my own name?

Although salaried employees are limited, by tax law, as to what they can deduct from their income, there are a few things that can be claimed. Deductions against income reduce your taxable Income and thus reduce the amount of tax owing to Inland Revenue. The allowable tax deductions are:

  • Income protection contributions where you take out a policy with a service provider in the case you are no longer able to work anymore
  • Donations paid to registered Public Benefit Orga...

Read more →

Bi-weekly tax series: How to calculate my personal income tax

How to calculate my personal income tax

Personal Income Tax (PIT) is a direct tax levied on income of a person. A person means an individual, an ordinary partnership, a non-juristic body of person and an undivided estate.

Personal income tax is applicable to total taxable income of an Individual and all individuals are taxed at progressive marginal rates over a series of income brackets. The tax year runs from 1 March to 28 February every year.  Individual tax retu...

Read more →

Electronic Submission

So TaxTim can complete my tax return electronically - so why can the return not be submitted to Inland Revenue electronically?

Yes - this is a question asked all too often and this is on our wish list as well.

TaxTim is currently working on developing the Electronic submission functionality.

However, unfortunately at this time Inland Revenue does not yet ACCEPT electronic submissions, as their system and the current legislation does not cater for electronic submissions....

Read more →

TaxTim Pricing

We receive several comment on the pricing of the tax return when using TaxTim.

Currently the pricing is as follows and have remained unchanged since the inception:

  • Normal salaried individual forms (brown forms)    N$99
  • Salaried individuals with allowances (blue forms)  N$349
  • Provisional tax returns (yellow forms)  N$499

We would like to share how we came to decide on the pricing of the tax returns....

Read more →

What is Employee Assist?

have you heard of Employee Assist and do you want to know more about what it is, watch this video:

Introducting TaxTim

If you want to know more about TaxTim and how it works, here's a short video for you

Employee Assist User Guide

So you are signed up for Employee Assist - Congratulations!

If you are unsure what to do and you do not know how to get started using TaxTim, please see our user guide video:

How to use taxTim

If you are unsure how to get started on TaxTim, check out our video tutorial on "How to use TaxTim".

2016 Deadline extended

Verbal confirmation from the Minister of Finance was obtained this morning that extension for submission of all individual income tax returns (as well as payment of tax) have been granted to 31 July 2016.

The system at Inland Revenue will be amended to change the due date for returns and payments to 31 July 2016.

This should then prevent it from levying penalties and interest for any returns and payments done after 30 June 2016.

Where can you submit your 2016 Tax Return?

Remember : individual income tax return are due 30 June 2016.

Inland Revenue confirmed that tax returns can ALSO be submitted at the some Nampost branches in Windhoek. These are additional facilities and returns can still be submitted at Inland Revenue offices as in the past. The branches are as follows:

  1. The Main Nampost branch situated at the corner...

Read more →

How to use TaxTim, as an employee signed up for Employee Assist

Are you an employee of Employee Assist? 

Did your employer sign you up for TaxTim and you received a voucher to do your tax return.

Here is our Guide on How to use TaxTim also containing some frequently asked questions.

Have a look you might be suprised at how easy it is, or your problem could be addressed in the FAQ.

Why is my return printing odd, small or on different pages?

Various taxpayers have asked TaxTim why when they finished their tax returns and print the return, it prints 'funny':
 - smaller than usual;
 - printing the information on a blank page instead of in the return;
 - printing blank pages

This could be the web browser you are using. If you are using "Internet Explorer", the print settings are smaller and sometimes preset print setting will obscure the tax return printing.

If you are using "Firefox", the print settings also cause problems....

Read more →

How to claim vehicle expenses in your tax return

A taxpayer is only allowed to claim car expenses if you receive a vehicle travel allowance or a vehicle purchase allowance. This allowance is normally awarded to employees who use their personal cars for business travel.

How do I claim my vehicle expenses in my tax return?

  • Logbook

You will need to keep a logbook (A logbook is a book or number of sheets, in which the detail of a travel or trip is documented) for the tax year (1 Mar...

Read more →

Frequently asked questions for Employees using Employee Assist:

  1. When I am done with the tax return, I receive a payment screen?

This means that you did not login through the voucher email. Please log out of TaxTim, go to the email and click on the “Click here to Start”. This should activate your voucher, removing the payment screen.

  1. I cannot remember my password?

No problem, you can always reset your password. On the login screen of the website, click on “Forgot your password”. You will see a screen where you should put in your email. A reset link will be emailed to you. Once you receive this link, click on it and you can reset your password. Easy!...

Read more →

TaxTim Returns and Assessment Queries

Please note that TaxTim is an tax return completion service independent from Inland Revenue.

TaxTim has no influence on the assessments or refunds of individuals' tax returns.

You can contact Inland Revenue regarding your personal tax assessments. See Inland Revenue's website for their contact details.

When to submit which tax return

Here we have a comprehensive table of when which tax return is due:

Income tax returns and tax payments due dates


Read more →

Still need to submit NIL tax returns

So, what if youe had no taxable income in a tax period, whether it be a provisional tax period, VAT period or even an annual tax period, are you still required to submit a tax return.

The answer is YES - you NEED to submit all tax returns as they become due with every period - otherwise you won't be compliant and penalties could be levied on your account.

Inland Revenue requires all returns to be completed and submitted with every period, even if no income was made and a NIL return should be submitted.

So what if you missed a return? Below is a summary of the consequences for not submitting a return:

Read more →

Ring-fencing explained

What is Ring-fencing?

Ring fencing is where a taxpayer may not offset losses from certain trades against income from other trades, or employment income in future years.
In Namibia ring-fencing only applies to natural persons with taxable income of more than N$200,000 per year (excluding any losses). This amount is usually the income from normal employment.

Where a person earns additional income from other trades, and losses are made from these other trades, you should consider whether the losses are deductible against your normal salaried income...

Read more →

What is recoupment?

Recoupment is a term used by the Tax law where Inland Revenue recovers previous tax claims allowed to the taxpayer.  

Where any fixed asset is sold or no longer used by you for business purposes, and capital allowances were previously claimed on the asset, tax will arise on the sale known as recoupment. Please note that taking an asset out of use for business purposes, include donating an asset to be used for privat e purposes, like giving your work car to your wife/children to use....

Read more →

Estimating taxable income

When completing and submitting provisional tax returns, you are required to estimate the taxable income for the first half of the year as well as for the full 12 month period.  As provisional tax returns are normally due before the tax year-end, it is often a difficult task to know what the total taxable income of the business/individual will be before the year closes off. Here are some tips to keep in mind when calculating your estimated taxable income.

  1. Remember the Incom...

Read more →

How to calculate remaining tax value for Motor Vehicle Recoupment

The remaining tax value will be the wear and tear/depreciation which can still be claimed on the vehicle. Vehicles are written off over 3 years. 

If wear and tear/depreciation was claimed on the car in previous years, and one or two years of allowance can still be claimed, this amount will be the remaining tax value. Please note that Inland Revenue looks at the remaining tax value as if a full 1/3 allowance was claimed. In other words that no apportionment is made for the business vs private use of the vehicle.  Therefore, you will need to provide us with the tax value remaining that takes this into account.  ...

Read more →

What if you did not work for a full tax year, or if you were unemployed?

  1. For individuals who were not employed for a full tax year, which is referred to as a broken tax year, a letter should be issued to Inland Revenue along with a police declaration whereby you declare that you were unemployed for a specific period.

    This will notify Inland Revenue that you did not receive income for a specific period. 

    Please feel to use the below wording for your letter - which you attach to your completed tax return. 

    The Receiver of Revenue...

Read more →

Individual Income Tax Tables

All individuals are taxed according to a income sliding scale. All individuals, including trusts and estates, are taxed according to the below table, which is applicable for the tax years 28 February 2016 until further notice:

Read more →

Choosing a Tax Return - Brown, Blue or Yellow?

If you are a registered taxpayer in Namibia, you ought to receive a blank tax return in the mail at some time during the year.

Have you ever noticed that there are different types of tax returns, when looking at the colours. 

For individuals there are 3 different type of tax returns, which are Brown, Blue and Yellow.

So what exactly is the difference between the 3 types of tax returns and can you submit any coloured return.

STOP! No, you cannot just complete any colour return and submit it, as it may have consequences where your taxpayer status may change with Inland Revenue....

Read more →
Older posts →  1  2
Get Inland Revenue Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.